Sunday, July 6, 2008

A little black rain cloud...

I really considered whether or not I wanted to start a blog. I have enjoyed a friend's blogs and she is always so interesting to read and usually so positive about life, this is what inspired me to start my blog. BUT, I was afraid I couldn't things to write about that would be interesting or positive, or even that well written. But, alas, I decided to give it a go. I'm a mom, not a writer, so it takes some effort for me to write, so I don't always get to sit down and type.

Today I need to sit down and type.

It may not be that positive, happy or interesting. But in an effort to be REAL, I will blog today.

Sunny skies: It started out very nice, this Sunday. Today is our anniversary, Scott and I have been married for 17 years, if you can believe it. We decided at the last minute to attend church last night so we could sleep in this morning. It was a good call. I think I was the first one in the house to get up. I was able to do some reading, and have a little time alone with God. It had been a busy week, and I neglected my time with HIM, and it was a blessing to reconnect.

Still sunny (and hot!): Scott and I got a chance to have a nice quiet conversation on the deck in the gazebo, we played badminton with the kids, and even played a Scrabble with Aaron and Justen (the kind with real tiles, not online).

Not so sunny: Later, Justen had a friend over this afternoon, and they wanted to ride the 'new' pocket-bike that Justen just bought at a garage sale. With permission from his mom, Justen's friend, took a ride on the bike. The problem was that he had a little trouble and ran into a parked car. Everything turned out okay, but the stress of the situation overwhelmed me about 2 hours later, and I lost it.

I was angry at myself that I hadn't listened to my gut about not allowing others to ride the bike. I was angry that Scott wasn't out supervising the whole event. I was angry that in trying not to be the "overprotective mother," I neglected some basic rules of safety: "Listen to your instinct".

So, now my day is done, I now need to reflect on the great parts of the day. It was a wonderful day, with only one little black rain cloud.

Thank you, Lord, for your protection, for my faithful husband, and my beautiful boys.

Life is good, even if it is a little cloudy.

3 comments:

J said...

Happy Anniversary. You must have married very young!
You aren't the only blog I read today about motherly instincts:
http://momo-fali.blogspot.com/2008/07/moronic-mom-101.html
Just a plug, she's very funny.

Jamie Willow said...

I love this dawn. It is a good reminder to not let the rain clouds that pass to take over. I needed that today. So thank you for sharing.

miss you.

Dawn M said...

Ha! Yeah, i married young - i was 12 ;)